The next time you wander into a scrap car lot to while away a Saturday afternoon, make certain to study this list before making your trip. There’s real money to be made if you can find any of the following items:
- Genuine Alloy Wheels. Wheels made from metal alloys of aluminum or magnesium are stronger and lighter than those made from pure metals. Alloy wheels are expensive to buy new, but are in high demand because they are an easy way to spruce up the look of any vehicle.
- Grill Emblems. Buyers of all kinds, from car owners to pure collectors, are ready to buy grill emblems. They are generally inexpensive to buy from a scrap yard and can be sold for a considerable profit.
- Side Mirrors. Side mirrors are some of the most regularly damaged parts of cars, regardless of make or model, so replacements are in high demand. Look for units that are undamaged. If you can find undamaged heated mirrors, even better.
- Catalytic Converters. In cars manufactured after 1975, catalytic converters were made using a variety of precious metals, including rhodium, palladium, and even platinum. If you are lucky enough to find one of these, the value of the metal is significant.
- Undamaged Body Parts. Headlights, taillights, grilles, doors, etc., that are in good condition can all be sold as used at a reasonable profit.
- Side Window Glass. Unbroken side window panes from luxury vehicles are hard to find. The new ones are extremely expensive for vehicles owners to purchase, so you can sell a used, intact window pane for a great price.
- Hybrid Batteries. A wrecked, newish, hybrid vehicle still theoretically has a good battery. New hybrid batteries are pricey, so the demand for used and refurbished batteries is high. You can sell any batteries you find straight to vehicle owners or to refurbishing companies.
- GPS Units. These units rank among the most commonly stolen items from cars, so it’s no surprise that they would be a desirable scrap item as well. The market for used GPS units is healthy, so you won’t have any trouble selling a working unit in good condition.
- Tailgates. Truck tailgates in good condition are a hot item and easy to sell. Custom tailgates also enjoy great resale value.
- Air Bags. Un-deployed airbag units are completely recyclable. The market for them is good and they are completely safe to use.
An afternoon in a self-serve auto parts lot can be a lot of fun and very profitable. Grab your tools and go visit one of the vehicle scrap yards in Florida now!