Full disclosure: at U Pull N Save, we love junkyards. We love everything about them. They’re good for the environment, they’re a great way to help folks sell old cars in Fort Myers, FL, and they’re just a lot of fun. An afternoon of part picking is the best kind of treasure hunt. You simply never know what you’ll find. U Pull N Save is a self-serve lot, meaning you can wander around to your heart’s content and pull whatever you find. That said, to be successful, you need to be prepared. Here are our best tips for making the most out of a day at our scrap yard:
- Come early.The early bird gets the worm, and the early part picker gets the best parts. Facts.
- Come often.If you’re in the market for something specific, it’s a good idea to visit our lot regularly. We have a 6-acre lot filled to the brim with all makes and models of cars, and we get new inventory every day. If you don’t find what you need today, come back next week.
- Bring tools.Nothing is more frustrating than finding the right part but not having the right tool to retrieve it. If you are coming to the lot looking for a specific part, do some research ahead of time to learn what tools you’ll need to do the job. If you’ve got questions about specific tools or what’s allowed on the lot, give us a call before you come.
- Bring cheap tools in a bag.Another good tip about tools is to bring inexpensive ones to the junkyard whenever possible. It’s super easy to lose tools here. Part pickers regularly set down their wrenches and then get distracted and leave them behind. We recommend keeping a set of cheap tools on hand specifically for treasure hunting. And keep them in a bag that’s easy to carry since you’ll have to tote them around the lot yourself.
- Be flexible.Many vehicles share compatible parts. Studying up on interchangeable options ahead of time will increase the likelihood of going home with what you need. This is especially important if you have a rare car or a popular car. It’s also a chance to add upgrades to your car from a model that might be considered “fancier.”
- Take more than you need.If you find a car in our lot that matches the one you’re working on, consider taking more parts than you came for since that car won’t be there the next time you come. For example, don’t just pull one or two parts from the engine; consider removing the entire assembly. That way, when you find yourself needing something else, you’ve already got what you need.
- Bring a bit of first aid.Another common occurrence at the scrap yard is minor injuries. Chances are very good that you will get a cut or two while working; it’s just a risk that’s built into the activity. Having some band-aids and antibacterial cream along will prevent a cut or scrape from ruining your afternoon.
- Be open to surprises.Coming with a plan is a good strategy, but being hyper-focused might also cause you to miss hidden treasures. Our lot is full of surprises. You never know what you’re going to find.
Plan Your Treasure Hunt Today
Come on into U Pull N Save today. We have over 6 acres of scrap just waiting for you and we get new inventory every day. If you’ve never had your car scrapped for cash in Florida, give us a call for a free estimate. We offer the best prices in the region, guaranteed.